The Man with all the answers: Mr David Wilcox.

The article I am posting about, came out a little earlier this year. March 29th to be exact. The article for the most part is an announcement of a position, I do not know if the announcement is based on a promotion or acknowledgement… by that I mean, is this USSF’s way of acknowledging a position and individual who has been doing this for a while or is this a brand new position that they stood up and just hired Mr. Wilcox. Either way, the article elaborates on Mr. Wilcox’s credentials slightly, stating that he has been working a similar type role in the US DOD USAF structure for the last 13 years, which has developed into this position. So that is a positive take away, that the individual in the position titled Space Operations Command’s Cyber Warfare Mission Area team chief is actually an individual who is qualified to be there.

The key highlight I take away from this article, while short, is that Mr. Wilcox seems to have a good understanding of what his role should be. He is quoted in the article as having defined his objective to be “I know the impact of my job for SpOC and the USSF is critical to allowing our service to become a leader in cyberspace operations in support of space operations.  Our team, just with SpOC, has led USSF efforts to drive Commanders and Senior Leaders to understand the impact cyberspace risks have on total mission risk as we present our capabilities and forces in support of Combatant Commands around the globe.”

A rather refreshing and relaxing realization to see that Mr. Wilcox acknowledges the importance of educating senior leaders and commanders of cyber threats, risk, employment, etc. I would go one step further and say that it’s not just limited to SpOC and the USSF. Rather his role should be inclusive of educating the senior leaders and commanders across all DOD and select US Gov.

Respectfully

Eric A.

Reference: https://www.spoc.spaceforce.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3723719/one-guardian-providing-a-cyber-capability-focus